Wednesday 4 August 2010

About me :)

So I'm a 22 year old female student from the UK and I have an overbite of 11mm (I think) which seems a lot but actually most of my friends and family dont seem to notice it as much as me.

If your reading my blog then you are obviously interested or maybe already waiting on Jaw Surgery, so maybe you understand when I say that no one can truely understand the underlying impact something can have on your self esteem the same way as you see it.

My doctors dont really give me the full informantion as in exact names of the proceedures and such, so I have came to rely on google as my trusty detective into this whole thing and I know a lot of people will be doing the same.. So....

My Story started when I was about 11. I was given the braces that look like a retainer type device that can be taken out and cleaned.
My teeth had started off kind of this shape      >      Though obviously not as bad as that!

Bad diagram but you get the idea.

So my top teeth had stuck out a little bit and to compensate the bottom row kind of grew towards the top so they could meet to bite.
After having the retainer type brace for I dont remember how long; I was offered "train tracks" which I declined because their ugly and look like a wire fence.

Skip forward to when I was 18 coming 19 and realised the thing I look straight to in anyone I meet is their teeth...So obviously the do the same to me.

I really hate pictures so there arn't that many of me that weren't just school photo's, and I want nothing more than to have a big hollywood smile in my graduation pictures and wedding. So that's what I asked for....

I was sent to an orthodontist which I wasnt sure at the start would be my favourite person. We didn't seem to get on, but as time has went by over the last 2 years I think he will be just as happy as me to see the final result.

So here I am with train tracks. Had them since I was 20 because of the huge NHS waiting list it took 2 years to get them in the first place. Its also over a year since I was given the OK for surgery but as with the NHS again I was told I would get it last year, which has cost me a lot of trouble.

My date is now the 6th August which is fast approaching and actually I am being shipped off to hospital in the morning at 10am though I'm not sure why I have to spend an extra day there.

So here's what Im getting, and I will come back to the proper names later:

1. My top jaw is being taken off and a hip graft will be sandwiched inbetween and bolted back together again so my teeth are more visable when I smile. (maxillary osteotomy)

2. My bottom jaw is being brought forward and tilted slightly so my teeth meet and also to fix the problem of "short face syndrome" (mandibular osteotomy)

3. My chin may be filed down a little bit if it sticks out too much. (Genioplasty)


So now I'm off to pack and I wont be able to update this probably until after I'm home in a few days, though I will bring a notebad with me so I remember everything that happens.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment